Sunday, July 24, 2011

Summer Dress

The days are warm here, and I desperately need some cool dresses to wear. This is from Kwik Sew 3050, an out of print pattern. I wore a dress to aquacise the other morning and, when one of the ladies said "what a lovely dress", I thought why not make another one?

A quick trip to Fabricville netted a cotton print that was in colours I like, teal green and some burgundy accents. There is not much to choose from in this sewing-deprived town. And my stash didn't yield enough in a print for this pattern, plenty of solids, but I wanted a print.

This will be a very quick sew, as I know the pattern fits and it is pretty simple and straight-forward. I will put in the pockets, which are done the Kwik Sew way which is so much better than the other pattern companies' directions. I will take some photos as I make them, so that you can see the difference. This is also the method of Stretch and Sew, and I suspect that many of you are familiar with this method of sewing the pocket entirely to the front, then sewing the side seam in one continuous pass.


The pattern doesn't have sleeves and I added some from a Burda dress to this. I am not that comfortable in sleeveless tops as my arms are not toned enough. Hopefully, I will get this finished this week so that I can get some good wear from it in the next month or so while this warm weather lasts.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is going to make a great dress. Can't wait to see the pocket technique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fabric you bought. I got it in red, green and black. Nice quality fabric but wish our Fabricland had it in the colour way you bought.
    Looking forward to your progress on this dress.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete