Monday, January 11, 2016

Kwik Sew 3915

Most sewers will admit that there are a number of failures in their sewing experience. This pattern was a failure on a previous attempt. I made view B in a cotton lycra knit, but the knit was too heavy. And the neckline is a gathered band that is very pretty, but in a knit of the wrong weight, it was darn right ugly. I wore the top once and then put it into the GoodWill bag.

About a month ago, I passed a table of very drapey knits in Fabricville and, even though the content was 95% polyester, 5% lycra, I thought I would chance it and make version A of this pattern. Well this one is a success in my books. The fabric is very soft and silky, it sews beautifully and was just the right weight and drape for this knit top with the ruched neckline.

I wasn't even that sold on the print when I bought it, but I really like it made up into this pattern. The instructions have you put sew-in interfacing on the back neck and shoulders, I used fusible instead. If I make this again, I will also interface the front V before attaching the collar, so that it is easier to clip into that V and sew the collar on with less fuss.

I need to pick up four pearl buttons to sew to the neckline, there are fabric loops on the one side. But you can't even see this because the print is so busy.

I have resolved that I will sew mainly from the stash this year, as so many other bloggers are also doing. This is not good news for fabric stores, and when I was operating my online fabric business, I hated to hear that people were going to sew from their stashes! But I will have to let the new generation of sewers support the fabric businesses, as I am being squeezed out by my huge stash and I feel the need to use it up or at least make a substantial dent in it.

I hope to record here monthly how much fabric I buy and how much I sew up. And the latter must exceed the former by a ratio of about three to one. I saw this on the blogger 

and it is a great example to follow. Plus her blog is so inspirational, her sewing is perfect.

So this month so far, I sewed up:

2.5 metres boiled wool coating
1.8 metres poly/lycra knit

I am not going to count linings, interfacing or any of the notions needed to finish projects, just the basic yardage. This is a determined attempt to reduce the stash that currently fills one entire room in our attic. And I should feel a whole lot less guilt about my addiction.

Thursday, January 7, 2016

First project of 2016

 I have finished my coat. I did everything I wanted to do on this coat, with the exception of handworked buttonholes. After some practise, I was not pleased with my handiwork and opted to go over the buttonholes a second time by machine. The result was just fine by me. And so I sewed on the buttons and called it done.

View of the inside of the coat. All the gunk inside will only be known to me, and the beautiful Kasha lining (flannel-backed satin) covers everything up.

Yes, we still have our old faithful dog Teddy who is now 15 years old. He is in great shape for his age and I attribute that to good genes plus all the exercise we have given him over the years. Even last summer, he jumped over obstacles that the grandchildren had set up when they pretended to be horses. Teddy joined right in.

So far, winter has not been bad. We are keeping our fingers crossed that we will not get the kind of weather we had last year. So far, I'm not complaining. The sidewalks are clear and it isn't that cold, so I can keep up my regular walking.

Next up, some shorter projects to give me some new clothes to take to Texas in February. I hear that this is when the bluebonnets bloom, I really hope to see them this time.