.... I love the look of stitches, the way thread marries the fabric ....
Monday, January 11, 2016
Kwik Sew 3915
Most sewers will admit that there are a number of failures in their sewing experience. This pattern was a failure on a previous attempt. I made view B in a cotton lycra knit, but the knit was too heavy. And the neckline is a gathered band that is very pretty, but in a knit of the wrong weight, it was darn right ugly. I wore the top once and then put it into the GoodWill bag.
About a month ago, I passed a table of very drapey knits in Fabricville and, even though the content was 95% polyester, 5% lycra, I thought I would chance it and make version A of this pattern. Well this one is a success in my books. The fabric is very soft and silky, it sews beautifully and was just the right weight and drape for this knit top with the ruched neckline.
I wasn't even that sold on the print when I bought it, but I really like it made up into this pattern. The instructions have you put sew-in interfacing on the back neck and shoulders, I used fusible instead. If I make this again, I will also interface the front V before attaching the collar, so that it is easier to clip into that V and sew the collar on with less fuss.
I need to pick up four pearl buttons to sew to the neckline, there are fabric loops on the one side. But you can't even see this because the print is so busy.
I have resolved that I will sew mainly from the stash this year, as so many other bloggers are also doing. This is not good news for fabric stores, and when I was operating my online fabric business, I hated to hear that people were going to sew from their stashes! But I will have to let the new generation of sewers support the fabric businesses, as I am being squeezed out by my huge stash and I feel the need to use it up or at least make a substantial dent in it.
I hope to record here monthly how much fabric I buy and how much I sew up. And the latter must exceed the former by a ratio of about three to one. I saw this on the blogger
and it is a great example to follow. Plus her blog is so inspirational, her sewing is perfect.
So this month so far, I sewed up:
2.5 metres boiled wool coating
1.8 metres poly/lycra knit
I am not going to count linings, interfacing or any of the notions needed to finish projects, just the basic yardage. This is a determined attempt to reduce the stash that currently fills one entire room in our attic. And I should feel a whole lot less guilt about my addiction.