The bodice is self-lined, and I decided to line the skirt with rayon lining, as the fabric is shirt weight and the skirt would then be a little transparent. And who wants to put on a slip in the summertime?
A couple of interesting things in this pattern. There is an optional trim on the neckedge, which is made from self-fabric. Then they tell you to fringe it after turning the edge. But since the piece was cut on the bias, you cannot fringe it. I think this must be a mistake in the pattern and, if I had thought it through, I would have cut that piece on the straight of grain. Then it would have been easy to fringe it but it is next to impossible to fringe bias-cut fabric.
Also, the dress has a side zipper; it must be about 20 years since I inserted a zipper in the side of a dress. It is necessary since the dress is open to the waist only, and without the opening in the side, it would be impossible to get on. We used to see these side zippers years ago, and they are certainly used a lot in vintage dresses. They allow you to get a close fit on a garment, especially one with a waist seam. It is kind of nice to see these older techniques being used once again.
The dress looks rather plain since it is a simple blue linen/rayon blend; but it has a retro look to it, and I think it is a very nice pattern. I think it would be nice in a plaid fabric, with the skirt cut on the bias. This will be mailed off to Elena, once the postal strike is ended, and hopefully she will email some pictures of it on her.