Monday, April 11, 2011

Dress for Hannah


Over the weekend, I finished the trial dress for Hannah. I will mail this off this morning and mom Elena will check the fit before I cut the Communion dress from the same pattern in the longer length. I don't want Hannah to look as if she is wearing the hand-me-down dress of a bigger sister. I can get the skirt prepared with all the tiers (6 in all on the long length, each hemmed with a tiny machine hem).


The dress bodice is fully lined, which eliminates all those pesky facings. And the flounced tiers are stitched onto a "stay", which is essentially an a-line skirt/lining. The pattern also calls for a skirt lining as well, to be inserted after the tiers are all stitched on, but I think this is unnecessary and would make the dress heavy.

Isn't it nice to see the inside of a little girl's garment so nicely finished? I definitely recommend this pattern to anyone sewing for their little girl. The possibilities are endless; this would be so cute done in lace, and I can imagine a "peasant look" with all the tiers in coordinating cottons. Hannah's mom said she wished she could have a dress whipped up so quickly for herself, hint hint.

2 comments:

  1. That's an adorable dress. What a terrific trial garment! Something she can wear and be cute in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delightful dress for Hannah. If it fits, she will have a short and a long version of the same dress. One lucky girl to have a grandma like you.

    ReplyDelete