Friday, February 1, 2013

Practical Sewing



The first of two aprons for my daughters. This is from the pattern All Day Apron from Indygo Junction.

Thinking of how many tops I have stained while cooking, I thought my two married daughters could benefit from an apron. The problem for me was that I never wanted to wear an ugly apron, and I never bothered to sew myself a pretty one. Perhaps my daughters can save their tops and dresses from grease splatters with pretty aprons like this one.

It is a great pattern to use up odd bits of fabric, as it requires 1 yard of one print and 1 1/4 yard of another, plus a little bit of bias binding for the neckline and top of the pocket. The apron ties in back and also has two straps from the shoulder to the waist that keep the apron from slipping off your shoulders.



This one is done in a tulip print plus a lime green cotton with multi-coloured dots on it. The other apron will be done in two prints of daffodils, as that daughter's favourite colour is yellow. Oops, it seems I cut the tulip fabric upside down. I didn't even notice until I posted the picture. Just keeping up my reputation of not being perfect.

7 comments:

  1. Oh wow. I have been wearing the same ugly apron for the past ten years and have always wanted a pretty one. Thank you. Leila from like mother, like Daughter says that the greatest shower gift is an ultra pretty apron. I would add to that rubber gloves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a super idea for your daughters! Love the fabric choices, it makes the apron look so fresh and wearable...J

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice apron for mom she is going to love it .FromHannah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice apron! I always wear an apron when I cook. I might mine from fabrics that I like but wouldn't use for anything else; such as birds, roosters, fish, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love aprons. Especially those made with love. From mom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely apron.Sure to be appreciated.That'a nice pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the style of this apron.
    I've made a couple lately too as they make great gifts :)

    ReplyDelete