Saturday, November 26, 2011

Black Pants - Starting a Plan?

There is no doubt about it, once you SWAP, you tend to think in terms of wardrobe combinations. Not that I am planning on making 11 pieces that will all coordinate, but one garment completed does get you thinking about what to wear with it. Items are no longer made in isolation.

These pants are made with my now-favourite pant pattern, Plenty of Pockets from Saf-T-Pockets patterns.


I like this pattern for a number of reasons: first, they fit me well; second, they have a contour waistband which is so comfortable (unlike straight waistbands that don't sit at my natural waistline); and third, the waistband is finished off with binding. I always appreciate this last feature when I put these pants on; they actually look nice inside!

The first time I ever made a contour waistband was about 15 years ago, in a jean skirt pattern by Palmer/Pletsch. A contour band is curved to sit just below your waist, so that it rests on your high hipline. Therefore it is curved and narrower at the top, thereby requiring a facing. The extra fabric and double interfacing gives the band stability and it doesn't roll, as traditional waistbands tend to.

If the serger thread appears blue to you, that's because it is. Don't thread your serger at night, when navy thread looks black.
The binding on the waistband facing is a cotton print, that was a favourite dress last year. The good news is that the dress is now too large and will be donated.

I have made this pant pattern up at least six times now - in cotton, wool, and this version in rayon/poly/lycra that has good drape. And I was pleased to trim 1/4" off all side seams this time around. Having finished these pants, I might sew up some red boiled wool into a quick jacket.

But first, plaid flannel pyjama bottoms for the grandkids for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment